Monday, August 27, 2012

Pie Pops

Yesterday I shared photos from my sister's baby shower, and the star of the snack show was pie pops! We made 3 different kinds, and today I'll tell you how to make them!


What you need:
1. 2-3 Pie Dough Recipes
2. A circular cookie cutter, a little bigger than oreo size
 3. Jam or Pie Filling of your choice (we used 3 flavors of jam
4. Egg Wash which is just egg whites
5. Sucker Sticks (I got these at Michael's)


On a floured surface, roll out the pie dough so that it's an even thickness, probably about 1/8" thick, then cut out the circles (not pictured); you will need 2 circles for each pie pop.


1. Place one circle on the pan, place one sucker stick in the middle of the circle, at least halfway up, maybe a little more. You need the stick to be able to support the weight of the pie once it's baked.
2. Place jam or pie filling in the middle of the circle, about half a teaspoon full
3. Place the second circle (floured side down so it sticks better) over top of the first, crimp the edges with the end of a sucker stick or a fork (we found the sucker stick worked best)
4 & 5. We used a fork to prick the first letter of the flavor in the pie pop
6. Wipe with egg wash (we used a bbq brush), just one swipe will do :)


Bake at 325 for 12-15 minutes, we let them cool on wax paper
*TIP* if you don't have wax paper, you can use empty cereal bags opened up into a rectangle

These were delicious!  Heavy on the crusty flavor (I love it though so that didn't bother me), so I might try a bit of a bigger circle next time to be able to put more filling in, but overall I'm very happy with how they turned out!  They were definitely a crowd pleaser, and a fun party treat :)

This is adapted from THIS recipe from Bakerella

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments :) You'll be hearing from me soon!!