Wednesday, March 20, 2013

An experiment


Today I started a 3 day detox.  Why am I doing a detox you ask?  Well...I watched the documentary 'Hungry for Change' on Netflix, and it really resonated with me.  Basically it talks about how the food we buy at the grocery store that comes in packages is made to look and taste like food, but it's actually made with food-like products and has little to no nutritional value.  It also speaks to the companies that make these foods specifically to cause you to want more-which creates a food addiction.

I feel like I have a sort-of food addiction in the sense that I crave junk food a LOT.  I know I'm not alone on this, who can say that they'd rather have a celery over chips? Carrots over cookies?  I certainly can't.  I don't  like the hold food has on me, and I want to feel healthy.  We all know how it feels after scarfing down a McDonald's burger and fries...it was good while you ate it but boy do you pay for it later on.  Your body will react to what you put into it and I'm sick of feeling like garbage.  That is not to say that I eat extremely unhealthily, we actually eat quite healthy at home; But I know I can work on my self control and making better food choices.

A plant based diet is what is suggested.  The majority of what we should be eating is vegetables, fruits, nuts/seeds, and beans.  What you choose to do after that is your call.  I don't mean to become a vegetarian or never eat junk food again, I mean to make wiser choices for my overall health and wellness.  I hope to make more of an effort to choose healthy snacks, and a plate full of vegetables with salts and sugars on the side instead of the other way around.  I have no idea where this motivation is coming from, but it is here and I'm going to take advantage of it.

As previously mentioned, today is day 1 of a 3 day detox.  The detox is meant to fill your system with nutrients and foods that will help to flush out the garbage that sits around, your body not knowing what to do with it except turn it into fat.  I'm hoping that at the end of this, I will feel better, but also begin a journey towards a healthier lifestyle.

I'll share more about it in the next few days, and if I've peaked your curiosity, you can watch the documentary on Netflix, and check out the website here.  If you want to jump ahead and see what the detox is, read the full instructions here


4 comments:

  1. I watched that one as well:) I ate healthier and cooked new meals for a week and then went back and bought snacks to munch on I just tend to get so hungry and want something fast to eat! Good luck on your detox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched this while I was doing my Whole30 cleanse/challenge, which I am currently still on, and I couldn't agree more. It totally resonated with me and left a mark and felt even better since I was on the Whole30 which is based on nutrient rich, healthy foods only. You should really look into it. Not sure if you read my blog regularly but I have been posting the changes that this challenge has done for me and it sounds like you'd be a good candidate for it if you're looking to detox your body of sugars and bad foods! You should have a read, and check out whole9life.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying to eat cleaner and less packaged food type products as well. There are a lot of great recipes websites, especially My New Roots. You definitely can tell the difference better food makes you feel and my finger nails grow way faster too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there, I wanted to mention to you that some people the "Paleo Diet" (lifestyle with one cheat day!) is really great for them.. maybe look into it and see what you think!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments :) You'll be hearing from me soon!!